View Single Post
rjsmama
rjsmama has no updates.

10 yr Member
Default Apr 24, 2009 at 09:41 AM

I wanted to offer hope for anyone suffering from Trichotillomania. The story I am going to share with you is not only a treatment for Trich, but for ADD, ADHD, dyslexia, and a broad range of other types of disorders. I hope many people are able to use this therapy and get the word out that there is hope! The doctor that we went to see works with ALL ages of patients (not just children - although he said working with children was his passion).

My daughter began exhibiting mild "tics" at age 7 (swallowing, throat
clearing, sniffing, eye blinking). Her pediatrician told me not to worry
because it can be a normal part of a child's brain development and that they would most likely come and go as her brain was changing/developing.

When she turned 9, she began pulling her eyelashes out. I panicked when I began reading about Trichotillomania and reading so many stories of
individuals who have not been able to overcome it.

Through a round-a-bout contact, I was told of a doctor that does neurology testing in children. I decided to call him. He talked to me for over an hour about a brain balancing program and referred me to a book by Robert Melillo called "Disconnected Kids" (I found it on both Amazon.com and eBay, I would imagine most book stores carry it???). The book shows you how to diagnose and self treat, but I highly recommend finding someone in your area to also work with.

Essentially, their philosophy is that a person’s brain is divided into
hemispheres (we've all heard of "right brain" and "left brain" activities).
You use certain parts of the brain to perform certain functions/tasks. One
part of the brain can become highly stimulated, while the other half may be under stimulated. When this occurs, the brain becomes (for lack of a better term) "out of balance" and the synapses between the sides of the brain becomes increasingly difficult.

I took my daughter to an appointment to see the doctor. He spent over 2
hours with us running a series of over 100 tests (from balance to eye
tracking, etc.)

By performing the tests, he was able to determine that my daughter's left
brain was highly active/stimulated (she has tested in the top 2% in the
nation academically - but almost exhibited signs of ADD or ADHD), so this
made perfect sense.

Because her "left" brain was so high functioning/active, it had become
increasingly difficult for it to communicate with the "right" side of her
brain. The neurological activity would become so overwhelming and it would "escape" or "release" in a form of one of her tics and/or the eyelash
pulling.

He then set us on a program to start exercising her "right" brain with
physical, mental, sensory exercises. He did not expect to see results before 6 weeks. Well...within DAYS the tics and eyelash pulling completely stopped (has not returned) and more amazingly she has (without any prompting) completely stopped biting her fingernails (a habit that she has had since she was a toddler). She used to bite her nails so far down that they would nearly bleed and the skin would puff up over the ends. She told me the reason that she pulled her eyelashes out, was because she could no longer find enough fingernail to bite. We now have to file her nails down every couple of days because they are entirely too long for a little girl (and they become snagged on everything). This in itself is incredible, but was not our primary concern, of course.

Her teacher has indicated that she is less "fidgety" and not as easily
distracted. Her grades are improving. Her physical abilities are improving
(not that she had any previous problems). However, as an example, she is a softball player and it has greatly improved her ability to catch, throw,
etc. Her sleep has also improved.

He also said that she was Magnesium and Omega 3 deficient and suggested that we put her on a fish oil supplement. Apparently Omega 3's are the "coating" for the electrical wiring in the brain for children. She was not getting enough, but now she is!!! I also have her on an excellent liquid multivitamin and a Calcium, Magnesium, Zinc supplement.

To see changes occur like this within weeks was amazing. Both my husband and I are next in line to have him work his "brain balancing" on us (I have insomnia and my husband has "restless legs").

I truly believe that there is not a soul on this earth that would benefit
from this therapy. I want to shout it from the roof tops.

Apparently Albert Einstein would have been diagnosed (as a child) with ADHD and/or dyslexia. He unknowingly was able to balance his own brain. When he was working on a mathematical problem (a left brain activity) and became stuck or frustrated, he would turn to his next passion (his music playing - which would stimulate his right brain). And, VOILA, you guessed it, when the right brain caught up to the left brain, he would solve his mathematical problems and became a self made genius (literally).

When I mentioned this to my regular pediatrician, he simply dismissed it.
You would think he would want to know more about it to share with other
parents, but unless he can write a prescription for Ritalin or something
else, he didn't seem to care to hear about it.

The doctor that helped us is absolutely brilliant and helping thousands of
people yet people are never told about this option.

I do not know how many Doctors are trained in this, but more need to be. We are in Colorado, but I believe this doctor travels on a regular basis to
Southern California, Minnesota, Wisconsin and perhaps Missouri (I
forget????).

Feel free to email me and I can either connect you with him, or see if he is aware of someone in your area that provides this treatment.

I felt that I would be remiss if I did not share this and if it only helps
ONE person, it is worth the time to do it.

God Bless all!

Thanks for this!
Silent_tsol