pegasus is here.

15 yr Member
4,001 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 14, 2009 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
I have a question about Psychcentral policy and rather than start a new thread I thought it might fit well with the discussion already in progress.

I don't really understand why messages containing suicidal thoughts or suicidal actions are not allowed but messages about cutting and self mutilation is okay.

Obviously if somebody is thinking seriously about suicide it can upset other people but if I am hurting so badly that I am considering suicide then maybe sharing my thoughts could help me get help before it is too late.

For the record I am not suicidal today but I have been in the past and made one attempt twenty years ago. I would like to think that if I were suicidal again that I could share my desperation but that is not allowed here.

I just don't understand why we have a forum dedicated to discussing self harm but discussing the ultimate self harm, suicide, is banned.
((((((((((( Yoda ))))))))))))

Can you not see how distressing it would be if members were allowed to do suicide posts and then went ahead and did it and died? We are not in a position to help someone in that sort of distress. It's not really possible to stop someone from committing suicide on the internet. Someone who is suicidal needs (irl) immediate care and attention. Psych Central is a wonderful support site but it is not a hospital.

Pegasus

Got a quick question related to mental health or a treatment? Ask it here General Q&A Forum

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live it's whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Albert Einstein

Hugs from:
Buffy01

Thanks for this!
bluegirl...?, Buffy01, Catherine2, Christina86, ExiExi, Fuzzybear, knothead, lizardlady