View Single Post
illogicallogician

Member Since Oct 2009
Confused Oct 24, 2009 at 08:41 AM

Before I get started, I just want to make it clear that I have no desire to change the person I am discussing. So, here it is...

I have been friends with a man who believes himself to have a schizoid personality disorder for a little over two years. We have had several periods in which we basically disconnected from one another but, all in all, have had a fairly decent relationship. We share a number of interests, have similar world views, and get along quite well. I don't mind the breaks as I have a great need for solitude myself and become intensely uncomfortable when my personal space is invaded.

Anyway, here's the deal. He's coming to visit from the other side of the world in less than two weeks and he will be here for approximately two weeks. He will be staying in my flat and we will be sharing a hotel room for several nights in Paris. My concern is tied to a potential shift in our dynamic. In the past, he's always been able to get up and go when he needed/wanted to, but with nearly 5000 miles between my flat and his home that's not going to be possible. I don't want to make him uncomfortable or risk violating his space. I do have a mild interest in pursuing a physical relationship with him, but I believe he's still a virgin (haven't asked recently) and I am not at all assertive when it comes to these things so I don't have a clue what to do with that part of relationship. I don't want to inadvertently push this person away by trying to get closer. He claims to be disinterested in sex, but almost every conversation we've ever had ends up going there and I recently discovered what I believe must be a description of either a dream or a fantasy that was quite explicitly sexual and very graphic, so I'm inclined to think that the supposed disinterest is probably fear. I hadn't really given a great deal of thought to this aspect of the relationship or the impending visit but this dream/fantasy seems to indicate that it's on his mind.

I should also mention he's coming here to check things out for possible relocation (here). The relocation would not, however, be done with the intention of being nearer to me as far as I know.

I guess what I'm looking for on this forum is some input from those of you who might have on the other side of a situation like this. I am an intovert but basically reasonably well-adjusted (my sanity score on here was 22) and I have no clue how to handle this rather fragile psyche. He's a dear man and I truly adore him. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the relationship.
illogicallogician is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote