View Single Post
davemike

Member Since Oct 2009
Default Nov 18, 2009 at 09:36 PM

My 18 year old son, previously thought to be severely anxious and depressed, finally has a diagnosis that makes sense--bipolar disorder. He is on new medication, but continues to be irritable and irrational. His personal hygiene habits are truly disgusting. He does not wash with soap(this has gone on for weeks), hasn't cut his toenails in weeks and weeks, rarely brushes his teeth and hardly ever washes his face. He never washes his hands after going to the bathroom. He eats with his fingers, and not utensils. He has stopped shaving. When we make mild suggestions, he gets irrationally upset, and refuses to do anything. We considered hospitalization, but we and his support team do not think it is warranted at the moment, since he is not at risk of hurting himself. He came home from college, and for the foreseeable future, he will be living at home. I know that he is ill, but I am having a horrible time coping, and his abominable hygiene does not help. I feel like we have an alien living in our home. How do I cope??
davemike is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote