View Single Post
ripley

Default Dec 28, 2009 at 03:27 PM

I found something on a web site (http://fullpermissionliving.blogspot...structure.html) that I think I will find helpful next time I get confused about what it is I am trying to accomplish in therapy. Some of them are a little scary, but others seem like they will just be a relief to get through!

THERAPEUTIC TASKS

- Become grounded and energized in physical life and in the body as a whole;
- Develop basic trust in the self, others and life;
- Become aware of, feel consciously, accept and express the deep primal rage and terror in a non-destructive way without retreating to primitive defenses;
- Face original state of helplessness and hurt underlying perfectionistic attitude;
- Reverse the denial of early trauma at the hands of parents and the environment;
- Develop tolerance for ambivalence in oneself and others (correct “good-or-bad”, “right-or-wrong” and other dualistic images); and heal the splits between thoughts and feelings, and between positive and negative feelings;
- Acknowledge and experience the different aspects of the personality (child, adult, higher self), opening the lines of communication between them, while establishing an identification with the adult self;
- Become aware of the erroneous conclusions, images and beliefs of the mask/false self, and the limitations and unreality of the idealized self image;
- Experience pleasure and expansion and recognize and express one’s higher self aspects with less fear of being annihilated;
- Primary negative expression that needs release: “I hate you!” “I kill you!”
- Primary positive self-affirmation that needs assertion: “I have the right to be.”

That last one is the real heartbreaker...Someday I hope I can actually believe it!
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Allen279, billieJ, Ratanddragon, TheByzantine