View Single Post
Anonymous29319

Default Sep 30, 2005 at 04:17 AM

the key here is "medical degree" which is schooling and a diploma in medical problems - physical -bones guts and so on.and medicinal. not psychological. I know that it is hard for you to believe but alot of primary physicians do NOT know alot about mental disorders. Their schooling is primarily medical not mental work. When they do do their internship in ER's and so on and they encounter a mentally ill person the hospital protocal is they get a psych consult not diagnose it themselves. Once they are out of medical school they keep up on the things that they specialize in family medicine, surgery and so on. They don't keep up on psychological terminology because they don't deal with psychological problems 24/7. I personally have had well over 50 primary physicians through out my life and each time I approached them with a problem associated with dissociation I was medicated, cat scaned for memory loss due to possible tumors, ECG, for heart attack because of numbness, tested for epilepsy, hospitalized as a suicidal when I was having flashbacks, x rays you name it just about every state in the USA has a complete medical work up on me from head to toe. The word Dissociation is also relatively new to the psychological world let alone the world of medicine. All dissociative disorders used to be thought of as schitzophenia and or PTSD and Multiple Personality Disorder But none of them contained the word Dissociation in the diagnostic criteria or the name of the disorder. That is why the psychological world changed the name Multiple Personality Disorder to the name Dissociative Identity Disorder.

Your primary doctor may be offended only you know what would offend your primary physician but My doctor was not offended and neither were those primary physicians that have read this post here and on other websites.

As for antagonizing a primary physician all physicians that I know welcome input from their clients no matter how they word it. They always said to me tthe only way they know how to treat their clients is if the client talks to them in what ever ways they are comfortable doing so. and if that means the client breaks down what they are learning in therapy into easy to talk about steps that will prevent needless tests and hospitalizations then thats what they accept from their clients.