View Single Post
Myzen
Poohbah

Member Since Oct 2004
PC PoohBah!
Default Nov 01, 2005 at 05:02 AM

Hi estee and jmo,

This is a hard one, and I too am upset to think about how hard it is with OCD.

Having had some similar experiences, here is my take on it.

If we are doing something because of the compulsion then we're in the grip of OCD. So no matter whether it is a good thing or a bad thing for other reasons it is still an OCD thing as far as we are concerned. The OCD is controlling us.

My strategy over the years has been to gradually confine OCD behaviours to morally neutral things. So, arranging books on a bookshelf I would see as not so serious, but getting rid of all my friends, or hurting myself in some way I would see as serious. So, I have tried to reduce any remaining behaviors to inconsequential things; things that won't have repercussions on me and my family. I think that giving away my clothes would be more than inconsequential for me, so I would try not to do it, but focus the OCD brain onto something less drastic.

It is when we do drastic things because of OCD that we are most vulnerable and that's the time to ask for some help IMHO.

OCD is an illness, it doesn't make us bad people. If only we were able to understand that at an emotional level.

My good feelings to all sufferers, everywhere.

Myzen