View Single Post
slash

Member Since Sep 2005
Default Nov 29, 2005 at 01:46 AM

Hi estee and jmo and Myzen,

I do suffer from OCD and it takes quite a toll on my relationship with my wife, God bless her heart since she has the utmost patience with me, but I too suffer from thoughts similar to the guilt thoughts expressed above.
I don't take medications, but I underwent cognitive therapy, it proved to be very very helpful I am waaaaaaayyyyyyy better now.
Hi estee and jmo, I agree with Myzen, to a certain extent, some of the techniques have I learned in my therapy brake down to the ideas presented by myzen

analyze you fears, confront them.....categorize them.......and you will begin to see patterns..it is all the same....then break them down..and I guess what I mean is....get to the bare bones of what your fear is and challenge the interpretation of that fear.
e.g compare youself to others..."would X person worry about this.."...if not ..." why am i so special" why am I havong such a HUGE standard on myself.....and X doent have to???? (where X is some ne you admire...)
find the cognitive errors OCD has made you think are valuable interpretations (and they are really not)

or find what ever suits you. but break the intrusive thought down to the point you begin to recognize the patterns that most affect you..and before you know it, you will thinking before carrying out your compulsion and you will get the courage to NOT carry out your compulsion..i.e like giving away because you feel guilty in not doing so....
and If your nature is to be kind to others and give, you WILL do it but with an entire different feeling!

easier said than done, I know, any how just wanted to chip in some thoughts!

keep on, and I firmly believe there is hope for every one!