View Single Post
jessiepc

Member Since Feb 2011
Default Feb 24, 2011 at 04:55 AM

Sigh. i suppose if people were unable not to fight about it, making it a forum violation to more than passingly mention spirtuality exccept in its own little ghetto may have been justified.

But. When people living with mental illness keep reporting in research studies 9as they keep doing0 that their spirituality is anywhere from helpful to the single thing they find most helpful in coping with their MI, a site like this one might as well ban mention of relationships. People quarrel endlessly about the details of those, too, but that doesn't stop them being key to hope and health, their omission from our lives dangerous and impoverishing and their absence from the discourse of those already struggling unthinkable.
Just wondering if the bathwater was so filthy that there was truly nothing for it but to toss the baby.... I used to work at beliefnet.com, and it took a bit of effort now and then to keep people civil; but the whole point of the site was to have people of different faiths bumping into each other, and the net effect was really quite benign -- more understanding, less ignorance-fueled suspicion, as the site founders had hoped.
And no, I don't have a habit of getting expelled my first day at school. This one just startled the heck out of me. (Well, also I have ADD. executive functions sleeping on watch again....)

Thanks for this!
(JD)