View Single Post
Charlie_J

Member Since Mar 2011
22 hugs
given
Default Mar 12, 2011 at 03:27 AM

Ok, so I am a survivor of suicide. In 2001, my brother suffered from depression, and had previously been hospitalised for suicide attempts. One and half months prior to his death, he'd been in ICU for a drugs overdose and had escaped without brain damage.

He took another drugs overdose, and this time he was successful. There was some evidence my Dad had tried to recsusitate him (he was a doctor). Later, at his inquest, the pathologist said it was the biggest overdose he had ever seen in his career.

My Dad didn't call anyone. Unbeknown to me he'd been fighting a case of constructive dismissal at his job and was also suffering from depression. He took an overdose of painkillers.

Some days later, when my Mother was worried because she couldn't get an answer on the phone, I opened the door to their house and found them.

If someone you love commits suicide, here are some bits of advice you might find useful.

* It's not your fault.
* That black, physical pain you feel will ease eventually.
* You may be very angry with them at times. This is normal. Don't be ashamed of it.
* Acquaintances, and sometimes even close friends will avoid you. This is because they don't know what to say, and are afraid.
* It takes time, but one day you'll wake up and it won't be your first thought. Promise.
* Just in case you missed it. It's not your fault.
* You will learn to live with it.
* If you're depressed yourself, get help.
* Be kind to yourself.

Some useful links:

http://www.uk-sobs.org.uk/
http://www.forsuicidesurvivors.com/index.html

I may add other useful bits and pieces to this thread as I think of them.

Keep well, ppl

Charlie_J is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Buffy01, MaverickLovesYou

Thanks for this!
Buffy01, cantstopcrying, CedarS, Hope.Floater, MaverickLovesYou, nannypat, stlblue