View Single Post
Jerrypharmstudent

Member Since May 2006
Help May 07, 2011 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedmoonbeam View Post
My pdoc is taking me off of Seroquel (Yay)

I've been on it since 2007 and gained about 30 - 40 pounds. With diet and exercise I have lost 20 of that and she has been lowering the dosage slowly - I was at 300mg and am now down to 50.

i'm just wondering from anyone else that has been through this, how long does it take after you come off of Seroquel to lose weight a bit more easily. I have struggled for about 18 months to lose this the rest of the weight- I eat healthy, I work out, I have been to diet drs, personal trainers and a well known nutritionist, who told me i was his toughest client in 20 years.

I'm so frustrated to never see the scale move when i'm working so hard.

Did anyone see a big difference in their weight after coming off of this? What about Lamictal because I may come off of that next.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Seroquel can cause "metabolic syndrome" which basically messes up your metabolism which can contribute to weight gain and difficulty losing weight. Seroquel effects histamine receptors which cause the drowsiness and the weight gain. Once you are off of it for about a month I would guess you'll find it much easier to lose weight. It takes a while for the med and its metabolites to clear your system. And if it was causing metabolic syndrome, it will take a while for your system to re-adjust and return to normal.

So hang in there and try to be patient!

Jerry

"My psychiatrist told me I was crazy and I said I want a second opinion. He said okay, you’re ugly too." - Rodney Dangerfield

Jerrypharmstudent is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Hope4Struggles