View Single Post
pgrundy
Veteran Member

Member Since Nov 2010
5 hugs
given
Default May 15, 2011 at 12:38 PM

Trying to find a way to say this that doesn't make me sound like a horrible human being...

Sometimes saying what a suicidal or depressed person wants to hear isn't really 'support'. I see this all the time in the depression forum, where people are having very negative dark thoughts and they seem to get a lot of support for having them. I know it can help to know you're not alone, but IMO when a person is already using the word 'suicide' and openly talking about how it seems like the best course, identifying with and supporting that line of thought does not seem to me to be helpful or responsible--even when it is meant to be. If you call a suicide hotline, for instance, they don't support your suicidal ideation, they let you know that the things that are going to help you are going to feel 'mean' and not be what you want. (I know because I've called.) Likewise hospital staff don't support that orientation. In hospital you learn fast that that kind of talk will keep you in there forever.

So anyway, that's why some of these posts disturb me.

I probably should just stop reading them. Thanks for all the clarification and comments. This discussion has been very helpful.

Thanks for this!
cantstopcrying, Open Eyes, phoenix7, venusss