View Single Post
Innerzone
Wise Elder

Member Since Nov 2009
31.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 24, 2011 at 11:55 AM

Only 7 seconds? Like allme, BF gives me hugs every day. Plural. He finds them very helpful too. We are quite alone in the world, and there's just something about hugging ... like...feeling, not just knowing, that someone really cares and provides a feeling of refuge from the outside world (which I have a very hard time with). When things are particularly rough out there, we tend to hold all the more tightly and/or rock, which also seems to provide an extra measure of comfort. (I went for years with virtually no hugs, so appreciate them all the more.)

The endorphins can't hurt either! (Wonder if rocking releases even more of them???)

I've not found them particularly useful against depression (sorry to report), but hope they do for others. Though I must say it shows a great deal of fortitude on his part to do this despite my very grubby self and frustratingly unresponsive state! I more often get anhedonia and/or numbness, more than crying. Crying is a more recognizable sign to others that something is wrong. Had to explain the way depression tends to manifest for me, so that he could better recognize it, know that it is not something he did or didn't do, or expect crying very often. He doesn't really understand it, but has better learned to recognize it. My not being able to feel or respond doesn't mean his hugs are any less appropriate. Doesn't lift it at all, but it can't hurt, right?

--The Cure
Innerzone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
BlackPup