View Single Post
Placeholder

Member Since Sep 2011
Default Sep 02, 2011 at 06:05 PM

Give yourself some credit I am impressed that you do as much as you do, you are way more on the ball than I am if you're actually doing your chores.

I'm going to limit this to meeting people and weight management because those're the only areas in which I have a handle on my depression.

Go back to that class. It takes a little while. When I first started going to the gym I felt so awkward and judged and wanted to quit but I wanted to actually start something instead of endlessly searching for the right place for me. I'm so glad I stuck it out, it became the right place for me.

Also, there might be a variety of people coming in and out of the class. I was in a writing workshop where I had to tell myself repeatedly I wasn't there to make friends, then the instructor merged us with another class with some people I clicked with.

I don't know if you're watching TV while you veg, but stop. I know it's really hard, but I think the worst thing to do when you feel like you have no life is to watch people that do.

Volunteer. I was shocked how much volunteering bolstered my social life. First of all, people are so happy you are there. Feeling appreciated goes a long way in helping depression. You're probably feeling like you don't have the energy, but it feeds on itself, I promise.

You'll also meet good-hearted people who share your interest(s), good starting points for friendship. Also, often when you volunteer you get perks, while they may not pay you, they might feed you or get you free tickets or whatever. Also, looks good on a resume. And provides networking that might lead to a better job.

Is there anyplace near you that you could vigorously hike with your dogs? I lost 30 lbs walking every day and then spending one weekend day hiking trails with steep inclines. Uphill hiking is the best exercise. Both walking and nature have been shown to help with depression.

Finally, thank you for adopting shelter dogs!

Hugs from:
online user, Sunflower123

Thanks for this!
Clara22