Pandita-in-training

Pandita-in-training
Perna has no updates.

10 yr Member
560 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: health phobia / disease paranoia

I would look at the other 99% of your life and see if you can find anything that you are avoiding looking at? It could be that you have grabbed hold of this fairly harmless belief and practice to ward off a great fear that is closer to possibly coming true. I know when my husband use to go away on business trips I would have a great deal of trouble feeling unsafe in my home at night, even though before I met him I had lived alone for 13 years with no problems.

The fear of living without my husband, of having no one in my life for love and support (my mother died when I was a very young child) was not something I could easily work with at the time so when my husband was away, the robbers, murderers, etc. came out of my woodwork because they were not as likely as my one day having to face living without a close loved-one to love and support me.

I solved my being awake, terrified, until 3-4:00 a.m. when my husband was away by the simple trick of leaving a light on in the living room when I went to bed; I usually go to bed before my husband and he stays reading or working on his computer, etc. in another room. So, making the situation as like to what I was used to as possible made it easier for me to go to bed, fooled my mind into calming down and seeing the situation as if my husband were just in the other room instead of in another city.