KathyM
Elder

Member Since Jun 2007
2,073 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Heart Dec 07, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Hi Kundi

My mother suffered from an illness called amyloidosis, but I never believed the diagnosis (doctors previously called her a hypochondriac). I assumed all her health problems were due to diabetes.

In 1996, five years after my mother died, I was diagnosed with amyloidosis (hereditary type). I was told I only have a few years left of eyesight, my face will become grossly disfigured, and I would soon lose my mobility. After watching my mother suffer and die from this illness, it threw me into a deep depression and caused me to be terrified of my future.

After a while I realized I was only hurting myself by staying in that frozen moment. My worry/dread won't make the illness go away, and it was making life that much harder. I thought of my relatives (now deceased) who suffered from this illness without the benefits of modern medicine, and I drew from their courage and strength. If they could live their lives with this illness, so can I.

I hope you don't have vitiligo. If you wake up one day and discover you DO have vitiligo, I hope it won't bother you too much. If it does, think of your ancestors and others who have mustered the courage to live with the condition.
KathyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote