View Single Post
Rose76
Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,341 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 25, 2012 at 12:11 AM

I just got approved for SSDI 3 months after filing. I heartily recommend getting a lawyer. I used one of those nationwide firms that just mainly does SSDI/SSI (in my case: Heard and Smith.) My 2nd recommendation is to do your homework before filling out that big bunch of stuff they send you. Read up in books, on-line, but read up on what to put down and what not to put down. The questions are designed to trip you. You can be honest and should be, but you must be savvy. Legally, the lawyers you hire may not be able to spell out for you everything you need to know.

The best stuff I learned was from on-line sites with videos to watch and audios to listen to. Also, list every thing in the world that is medically wrong with you. Got a touch of arthritis here or there - Well that probably limits your dexterity or mobility, at least now and then. Play it all up. Especially, any doctor who has x-rayed you for anything.

My main disability is chronic depression. But I think having other things wrong helped. There is good advice in the posts above. Get all the suggestions you can. But don't let yourself get scared. Just be determined. Consultative Exams are not necessarily bad. I think the pdoc that the SSA sent me to was very supportive and helpful.

Oh, BTW, my law firm won't make a nickle off handling my claim because I got no back pay. Pretty good deal for me considering as I would still be mulling it over in my head if they didn't get the ball rolling and kind of kick start me into gear.
Rose76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Build1