View Single Post
Rose76
Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,341 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jul 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM

As said in the post above, the physician is the most important person to get support from. I'll use me as an example. Over at the mental health center, no one was particularly supportive of me going on SSDI. It was my primary care physician (MD) who urged me to apply. One psychologist was even pressuring me to try and go back to work to the point that I refused to continue seeing him.

Well I filed my claim in March (through a law firm) and I got approved in June. I did have a long well-documented history of trying to cope with depression and numerous job failures. That helped. What I believe also helped was the report of the psychiatrist that the SSA sent me to. She was very supportive.

It's funny. I know the Federal Courts use psychologists when they want an assessment of someone's competency to stand trial. For purposes of SSDI, it seems that my interests were better served by MDs.

Getting your supervisor to write a letter to SSA about your difficulty coping could possibly be the single best thing you could do.

If you are only newly on meds, then the SSA might want to see if that makes a difference. Sometimes, it takes multiple job failures before SSA will assess that you can not manage on the job. Also, they will look at how you are managing in other areas of your life.
Rose76 is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote