Blue Poppy
Veteran Member

Member Since Jul 2012
19 hugs
given
Default Aug 18, 2012 at 06:18 PM

Hello there,

I apologize, this is a bit long winded.

When I had a severe meltdown, my first one, two years ago, the pdoc recommended that I go off Paxil because he didn't think it was working anymore.

After the first year, the diagnosis changed from major depression to bipolar II. However, being without Paxil has been two years of hell.

When I asked to go back on it several times, he explained the preference and clinical reasons why SSRI's and bipolar don't mix well. So I have been through a few SNRI's (I think this is the acronym, but I may have it wrong) which I was told were better for my diagnosis. I have tried wellbutrin and effexor.

Last summer I was so hypomanic on the wellbutrin and effexor that I lost 35 pounds, and I am not overweight. I was a skeleton and I was grey.

I requested Paxil three weeks ago, since I was heading down the road of another depression. It has been a little more than three weeks, and the past three days have been different. Even my friends have told me that there is a noticeable difference in me this past week. The light has returned in my eyes.

So my question is, why are the SSRI's frowned upon? I see that several of you are on prozac, zoloft etc.

I don't know what it is about my brain chemistry, but I do much better with an SSRI.

Thanks for you answers in advance.
Blue Poppy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote