View Single Post
Anonymous37866

Default Aug 31, 2012 at 02:27 PM

Hi! I am relatively new but I will give you my experience if it will help you.

I have severe anxiety and debilitating panic attacks I DO use Valerian root. (I look for as many natural remedies as I can but I do also take medication for my problems). I take valerian sometimes to help relax before going to sleep. I take 2 x500 mg tabs, it calms me right down and doesn't make me drowsy the next day. I will drink it in tea form ('celestial extra sleepy time' has it in it and covers the taste up with mint). For day to day stuff I take one 500mg tab occasionally, it makes me less dizzy and drowsy than an ativan would. Another thing I use is kava kava tea, it is a great thing for my anxiety, again I only use it occasionally. I know that even though herbs are relatively safe these ones in particular can hurt your liver over time, so use with care and caution!

Other things I use on a daily basis (totally natural) are calcium and magnesium supplements, these really help me relax my muscles and also help me sleep. I take around 1000mg of magnesium every night and wake up feeling refreshed. If I feel too anxious I'll take some liquid mag/cal formula and it helps calm me down. Don't take too much of anything though, read the daily recommended dose.

I also take omega-3 fish oils, this is supposed to support the nervous system and balance in the brain. You can get all these things from your diet, too. (for example eggs and fish have high omega-3 oils)

Hope this helps. I have always had great success with Valerian, I think it works better with some people than others. I would try taking it at night first to see how you react. Take care.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
PurpleFlyingMonkeys