View Single Post

Member Since May 2006
Default Jul 31, 2006 at 12:33 AM

Kim, I had a similar situation when I started out with my T many years ago. The thing to do, which is what I did, is to let others know how we feel about their action or inaction. I told my T that when she says that kind of stuff I feel she's being in the parental mode and is expecting me to be the good girl and obey. One time when she was reacting to my narrative of abuse I told her that when she reacts like that I feel she's taking the experience away from me. And that I'd like to own it. Fortunately, she heard me on both counts, and many others, and gave me the space I needed. But if I hadn't communicated my needs she wouldn't know about them.
So take a chance, tell your T how her/his comments make you feel. If T is respectful of your experience and truly hears you, you will feel all the better for having communicated your needs.
I once heard a T say that one of the reasons that has brought us to the point of therapy is our inability/failure to communicate our needs. That's certainly true for me. And to be able to communicate my needs and have them be met with respect and understanding provides the corrective emotional experience that is so therapeutic.
Let us know what happens.
Take good care!
9874 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote