View Single Post
Edpsy77

Member Since Aug 2012
Default Sep 18, 2012 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoren View Post
Not everything follows logic.

For one thing, a lot of these hormones have more than one purpose, so they exist for other reasons and may continue to have sex drive as a side effect, if you like.
Perhaps but Darwinian theories on sex are posited as facts rather than conjecture. It seems to me that there are other explanations regarding sexual behavior that may be equally valid as the conventionally theories that are promoted from evolutionary psychology.

Based on my understanding Darwinian theory of sex, either all or the vast majority of human sexual urges are linked to reproduction. Based on my readings, this claim is considered a no brainer. I fundamentally disagree with this viewpoint. If you have studies that posit that there are other purposes for sex besides procreation, can you please provide these links.

Quote:
Secondly, a person might desire sexual relations as a mental or physical state, in that sex has always been enjoyable for them and perhaps has always been a valued bonding experience for them, so they might continue to perform those behaviours for other reasons than bodily need.
I have not seen studies from conventional evolutionary psychologists that paint sex biologically as a bonding experience. Based on my understanding they consider any use of sexuality that deviates from reproduction is a cognitive adaptation. They still maintain that sexuality's biological and instinctive purpose is to attempt to procreate.

[QUOTE]And I guess thirdly, in some species sex is used as a bonding behaviour, not just a reproductive behaviour (this can also be seen in how some specially habitually perform acts between same sex individuals).[QUOTE/]
Could it be possible that humans are one of those species?
Edpsy77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote