Pandoren

Pandoren has no updates.

10 yr Member
1 hugs
given
Default Sep 18, 2012 at 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edpsy77 View Post
Perhaps but Darwinian theories on sex are posited as facts rather than conjecture. It seems to me that there are other explanations regarding sexual behavior that may be equally valid as the conventionally theories that are promoted from evolutionary psychology.

Based on my understanding Darwinian theory of sex, either all or the vast majority of human sexual urges are linked to reproduction. Based on my readings, this claim is considered a no brainer. I fundamentally disagree with this viewpoint. If you have studies that posit that there are other purposes for sex besides procreation, can you please provide these links.
I think you have misunderstood me. I said that the hormones are used for other things, such as growth of bones or other usages in body development. I expect, and indeed I am obviously not as learned as yourself, that even in our old age although the levels of our hormones do change in our lifetimes, even that 90 year old woman must produce hormones. That said, although I agree that the main aim of sex is for procreation, of course it is, there are indeed other secondary purposes for sex such as emotional bonding as I originally said, which as well as the testimonies of other humans, I have observed documentaries seen on the behaviours of animal species. I am not going to provide the links to studies, given that as well as your own lack of evidence in your arguments, I don't consider this debate important enough for me to waste effort finding them.

Quote:
I have not seen studies from conventional evolutionary psychologists that paint sex biologically as a bonding experience. Based on my understanding they consider any use of sexuality that deviates from reproduction is a cognitive adaptation. They still maintain that sexuality's biological and instinctive purpose is to attempt to procreate.
I agree with Lynn that you appear to be very rigidly focused. Things can have more than one purpose. As we agreed, the main and overwhelming purpose of sex is reproduction, but human kind developed evolutionary techniques in order to aid it's survival. The human species follows the pattern of "have fewer babies, have more people around to protect" rather than the pattern of "have many babies so that at least a few of them survive". In terms of that evolution, a human female would require a male not just to impregnate her, but also to stick around to protect and provide for her and the child. This of course is an adaptation for our particular development of intercourse. I believe it is that certain hormones/chemicals are released through fulfilling intercourse akin to those released during childbirth (it may not be the same hormone but a similar one) which causes a feeling of bonding. It may be that the theoretical 90 year old woman still produces this hormone (Oxytocin?) during intercourse even past her reproductive years.

Quote:
Could it be possible that humans are one of those species?
I believe species of monkeys perform homosexual behaviours amongst group members in order to more closely bond them as a community. To some degree, humans probably do have the same behaviours. At the very least, there are individuals to whom physical contact (usually hugging or perhaps kissing) is vitally important for a bond so actual further sexual acts might be an extension of that.
Pandoren is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote