Elder

Member Since Jun 2012
6,203 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 18, 2012 at 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edpsy77 View Post
Why do 90 year old women have sex drives? Based on evolutionary theories on sexual behavior, sexual drives are absolutely tied to reproduction. I understand that reproductive urges can exist without the intent or even the capacity to reproduce but these exceptions are individuals who are in groups that overwhelmingly have the ability to reproduce. For instance, it is possible that a 20 year old male or female has a condition that prevents them from reproducing.However, most 20 year old adults can reproduce.

So again why do 90 year old women have sex drives? No 90 year old woman has the ability to become pregnant. Thus, it would conform to Darwinian logic that these women would lack a mating strategy. In other words, according to evolutionary logic, 90 year old women would be asexual. I would think mating strategies would apply to those who only have the ability to reproduce.
One would have to consider the psychosocial aspects of sex drive as well. It would vary among individuals, in some women sex drive is related to testosterone level and others respond better to different types of estrogen and progesterone levels. Diet and other environmental factors may be involved as well. One could consider the genetic influence as well. As I stated, I just point out the complexity of the human body and it's response to hormones. There is no simple yes or no answer.
optimize990h is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote