View Single Post
lieba
lieba has no updates.

15 yr Member
Default Oct 18, 2012 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimber1 View Post
Hi Dr John. My husband suffers with depression and at times closes down totally. There is very little support for partners of people suffering with depression. It would be nice to find other people who understand situation.
i am not one hundred percent sure how this forum works technically so if the wrong word lands up on the wrong line please excuse me. i firstly want to say that you are certainly not the only person in a relationship with someone who suffers from depression. as many people as there are in the world who suffer with depression, there are those plus several who have close dealings with them and all those in the person's life feel the same sort of hurt, frustration and pain you experience. i too am one of those people as my husband has been suffering from depression for most of my married life and i have a 16 year old daughter who also suffers from depression. there is just one piece of advice that i can offer you. it is rather profound and hard to intergrade but once it is in your heart, your life will be so much easier. recognize the depression as any illness. it is really like diabeties-it flares up when you least want it to and it is totally unpredictable but it is not personal. if your spouse were having a heart attack you would not be insulted that he was unable to take you out to a movie. having a "depression attack" is no different. people do not want to be depressed. people do not want to be dependent. the ill person is ill and there is no choice about it. that is not to say that you are not entitled to be considered, but be sympathetic. anyway...i have to go...good luck and as the late michael jackson used to say..."you are not alone"!
lieba is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
NWgirl2013

Thanks for this!
JamesO2, NWgirl2013