View Single Post
dac0976
dac0976 has no updates.

15 yr Member
Default Aug 23, 2006 at 12:09 PM

My 6 yr old son entered into 1st grade this year. He is the middle child. I was told last year that moving to 1st grade is a BIG step for a child. The first couple of days were rough. We moved into a new school district and none of his siblings attend the same school as he. I expected the first days to be hard. School started on Wed. and on Friday, I dropped him off out front and he walked in with no problem. Same on Monday. But Tuesday morning, he was whining the whole way to school and when we got there, another teacher had to intercept him because he was clinging to me and crying and screaming and telling me not to leave him. I spoke to the teacher later on in the morning and she said he calmed down and was doing good. He had a good day the rest of the day and he promised me that he wouldn't act like that again. Well, he duplicated his behavior this morning. I ended up leaving the school nearly in tears because he's shouting for me not to leave him there and his teacher is trying to console him. I have heard nothing but great things about this teacher, so I doubt that it's her that is bothering him. The only viable excuse he is giving me is that he just "doesn't like it". I am not sure how to handle this situation. He is very much a momma's boy and his dad doesn't play any kind of major role in his life. Is there something I can say to him to make him feel more confident about being away from me to go to school? Or do I handle it in a disciplinary manner because he's just doing this for show? Please help!
dac0976 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote