View Single Post
ultramar
Poohbah

Member Since Mar 2013
275 hugs
given
Default Mar 26, 2013 at 08:14 PM

First, in response to something that was mentioned, I don't think your desire to talk about/deal with your past indicates a kind of psychoanalytic bent. I read here all the time about people in all kinds of different therapies often talking about/dealing with their pasts in therapy.

As for trying to dig up repressed memories. I think this can be a slippery slope. Not that this will necessarily happen with you, but I think that if you're hugely invested in and often ruminating on the original causes of your distress (in childhood) it's possible to become convinced of causes that may have never happened -just because of such a strong need to find them. I understand the need to know the why, I do, but I would concentrate on what you already do remember, what meanings these memories have for you, how you think they (experiences) may be affecting you now.

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with trying to work through one's past, but maybe it would be helpful to think in terms of weaving back and forth, in therapy, between the past and the present, so as not to get stuck in the past.
ultramar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote