wills11
wills11 has no updates.

10 yr Member
1 hugs
given
Default Mar 27, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramar View Post
...I don't think your desire to talk about/deal with your past indicates a kind of psychoanalytic bent. I read here all the time about people in all kinds of different therapies often talking about/dealing with their pasts in therapy.
Dealing with the past always seems to be a touchy subject. Almost as if even a middle ground is something that's iffy. Like, embrace it or trash it.

My therapist seems pretty reluctant to walk down that path. I'm not taking her hand and pulling her that way, but I'm definitely trying to suggest we take that fork in the road LOL.

In the end, I don't think it quite matters in what way it's done. I've looked up a lot of therapy treatments for Borderline, PTSD, GAD, specific anxieties and phobias, ADHD, Bipolar, Delusional, etc. and there's pretty much something in every single one of those that can help.

Quote:
As for trying to dig up repressed memories. I think this can be a slippery slope. Not that this will necessarily happen with you, but I think that if you're hugely invested in and often ruminating on the original causes of your distress (in childhood) it's possible to become convinced of causes that may have never happened -just because of such a strong need to find them.
I agree. Some of them I know were there because it affected me so strongly. Others, I'm not quite so sure. I tried to think today about some things when I was little, but I've always had such a piece-y memory of anything before like 10. From what I've heard people say about me as a little, little kid I really wonder how things changed so much because I can't imagine myself being like that. So I'm sort of honestly inclined to believe there was so major event to cause such a gap in memory and behavior.

I've already thought about some of the issues you've brought up. Mainly 2 things. 1) I'll quite literally obsess over this new "project" 2) What will happen if I discover something utterly horrible 2.5) Is it possible this will actually cause more damage? -- I'll take the risk and cross that bridge if I come to it. I've chalked it up to the fact I have neuroses regardless so why not try and help myself out.

Quote:
...but maybe it would be helpful to think in terms of weaving back and forth, in therapy, between the past and the present, so as not to get stuck in the past.
Yeah I definitely weave back and forth. Therapy naturally takes that route as it seems every single time there's always some other issue or topic that derails wherever we left off last time, or whatever I originally planned on addressing during the week leading up to it.

Balance in my every day life is a bit more the issue. I do a lot of current problem solving based work to help get through my anxieties and natural life changes in terms of jobs, moving, school, finances, etc. The past events just naturally work their way in. I've always pushed them back out. It's the fact that they always resurface that's brought me to this point of the desire to explore it. It's not enough to truly learn and move on and free myself in the present by saying something like my parents were overbearing and it messed me up.