View Single Post
wills11

Member Since Mar 2013
1 hugs
given
Default Mar 27, 2013 at 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perna View Post
In this example it looks to me as if you are defining "aggressive" all by yourself and then changing your (only) definition, without benefit of knowing how the person you are relating with is thinking of "aggressive" or the role you have asked them to play for you.
Well, the cutting her off situation wasn't all that ideal. I had mainly done it because we were already out of time, outside of her office, and walking through the hall. But yes, those other points you mentioned have merit.

Quote:
You gave the good massage comparison but then assumed its meaning for you was the same as its meaning for your therapist or did not like what you thought your therapist was going to say and then backed out of it...
I'm also going to address part of the first response I quoted here as well.
The massage comparison was mainly used as an illustration showing the two varying styles of massage and how they are both beneficial to the recipient in the end. This was a metaphor (since that's how I naturally do a lot of my relaying messages and things to her) for how I want sessions to be. More like the Russian and less like the Swede.

That's why I made sure to thank her and show that anything I've learned up until now has been valid. But that I'm arriving at a new place mentally and I would like to consider a different means of addressing this since I've been feeling lately the normal talk therapy or problem solving model isn't cutting it.

It was actually her who brought of "aggressive" first. I knew where she was going with it because we've talked about how she doesn't do "invasive" types of work. There are other people that do, but not her, and she's all my insurance will cover lol.

I agree I shouldn't have cut her off. I'll apologize for that next time and maybe she can finish what she was going to say. I cut her off sometimes because I already know she misunderstood me so I try to explain again so she doesn't have to waste time. If it's something else, she'll usually tell me that's not what she was going to say or point out some sort of incongruency.

I know I can't change her, or her techniques, or even my approach in some instances. I just wanted to help her understand the type of change I wanted to try. I did probably 90% of the talking this session and she took a lot of notes - a lot more than normal. Maybe we can find something to go on. Just something. Anything. It's just been frustrating to me that I want to break some ground but the current structure leaves me feeling frustrated and frazzled with the whole outcome. And I've mentioned this.

The last part of what you said, about assuming I wasn't going to like what she said and then backing out of it... It's EXACTLY THAT type of behavior I'm talking about when I told her that if she sees something like that, address it. I asked, and she admitted she knows sometimes when I'm intentionally avoiding, changing the subject, transferring, or for lack of a better term p***y-footing around certain things. It's this stuff she just lets go. It's this stuff I want to be aware of I'm doing. So my correction to her being "aggressive" was that to just give it one more sentence. Say, "hey, I noticed you ____." Or maybe just repeat it again at some point. Don't let me brush it off easily. If I don't want to address it, I'll just say it.

Quote:
After all, I "heard" my thought and understood the progression, didn't everyone?
Boy oh boy, how that is true. It's it even better though when you hear your thoughts and you're like oh yeah this is great. And then you translate it into words and then you don't even understand yourself?? LOL

Quote:
Yes, your therapy is all about you and your life stories but you are supposed to be letting another person into that loop to help you influence it and get new information. Instead, you are just picking and choosing what you want to take of the other person and incorporating it into what is already there, keeping the loop sealed, just adding to it, making it bigger.
I think I understand what you're saying. Maybe we're both misunderstanding (I wouldn't be surprised given my track record hah!). What do you mean by keeping the loop sealed and then making it bigger?
Can you give me an example of what you think the scenario you just described would sound/be like in the "correct" manner? (I guess that would be opening the loop and making is smaller? )