View Single Post
notALICE

Member Since Mar 2013
196 hugs
given
Default May 21, 2013 at 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wotchermuggle View Post
Being Married to a Person with Depression or Bipolar: 6 Survival Tips | World of Psychology

I found this to be so demeaning.

There are no links to the statistics used in this article.....but 90% failure rate for marriages? WTF?
While it is certainly horrifying stats, I have to admit I've been divorced 4 times. Married/divorced twice to the same man, and I'm reunited with #4... So not quite as horrid as it sounds but...

...the common denominator in my failed relationships is me. I'm newly diagnosed as having BP1, so it wasn't like that was thrown around all over the place. Although it was mentioned a few times that I could have it, but I always denied that possibility. I am very codependent and don't find myself in the healthiest of relationships.

I would love for my husband now to be open, supportive, read books, listen when I talk about it etc, but it's just not his style. I have to work on changing myself, not him.

I am going to BDSA meetings that also has workshops to address things like anger, self esteem, etc. so I think knowing that I have a disorder I can be more proactive. I have a disorder, but it doesn't have to define me or ruin my relationships.

I want to strive to be a healthier person - in all areas of my life - and all my relationships, not just marital.

My morning thoughts.

MIDWAY upon the journey of our life
I found myself within a forest dark,
For the straightforward pathway had been lost.

Bipolar I

notALICE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
Tsunamisurfer