View Single Post
faerie_moon_x
Elder

Member Since Nov 2011
3,670 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 21, 2013 at 09:31 AM

It just made me angry that she put full responsability of the marriage onto the person with bipolar or depression, and not the other person. Just because there is a corrolation doesn't mean it's the absolute cause of all divorces for people with bipolar or depression.

What about the statistic that peple who have mental illness are also more likely to be the victims of violence, which include domestic violence.

I'm sure there are many cases in which bipolar or depression are a leading factor in a divorce. But, I'm just as sure that sometimes the fact that one partner has bipolar or depression was just another fact, but not a cause.

That article made me angry mostly because it didn't address how to be a proper support person, which many spouses are not. How many people do we hear say "you're lucky if your husband/wife tries to understand / is supportive." That's BS that we even think that way, but it's our reality. And, I was upset that it didn't offer any insight into steps other than meds the person with bipolar or depression should take to keep themselves healthy, and that in turn would keep the marriage healthy.

I'm on my second marriage, and in my first I had no business being married. But this time, I do my best to stay aware of how my illness can impact the people around me and myself. But, there's no way I could carry an entire marriage alone. It just doesn't work that way.

faerie_moon_x is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
swheaton, ~Christina

Thanks for this!
BipolaRNurse, swheaton, ~Christina