Account Suspended

Member Since Sep 2011
3,729 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Aug 01, 2013 at 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAxis View Post
Perhaps I could. That might even be the ideal solution.

But I myself don't necessarily have "no desire" for sex. As a matter of fact, at the age of 21, I've got quite a bit more desire for sex that I would like. My problem is that I've got these hormones raging around my head, clouding my thinking, and compelling me to do something that I don't want to do.
I imagine it's just like having a drug addiction. When the hormones get going, I know somewhere in the back of my head that I shouldn't be acting on this impulse, that I've done it a thousand times before and it hasn't ever made me feel anything other than miserable.
I am not sure that the hormones are clouding your thinking. It seems that the opposite is the case: your thinking is clouded without the hormones, and the hormones attempt to un-cloud your thinking.

Because, look - food anorexia is lethal in - what, 10% of cases? So it is a potentially fatal illness.

Sexual anorexia is not as fatal, but still - how come you are comparing sexuality with a drug addiction? Sex is necessary for procreation, but drugs are not. On the continuum:
- food is the most necessary thing
- drugs are not necessary at all
- sex is in-between the two

Underlined in the quote are things that show that you seem to be consciously against your sexuality. You are trying to ration your desire. Food anorexics ration the intake, but not the appetite (unless they go to the extremes of taking appetite suppressants). You attempt to control yourself in deeper ways than food anorexics attempt to control themselves.

It seems that the issue has received very little attention because the wikipedia article offers precious little information, but from what it does state, the therapeutic goals of treating sexual anorexia include the progression towards actual sex. So...maybe this is something for the future, perhaps distant future? Maybe something to look forward to, without rushing your therapeutic process? The ultimate goal in treating food anorexia is not just patient's gaining a bit of weight to avoid death by malnourishment, but the patient's ability to actually ENJOY food. If indeed sexual anorexia is akin to food anorexia (as the name suggests), then your ultimate goal is ENJOYING sex.
hamster-bamster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
PinesofRome

Thanks for this!
AppalachianAxis, PinesofRome, spondiferous