View Single Post
bellanorine

Member Since Apr 2013
Mad Aug 19, 2013 at 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BohemianPrincess View Post
What about help for clients who have been emotionallyabused by a former therapist? Its not always sexual types of abuse that hurt a client.
I have had major depression for 25 yrs and been to numerous counselors. I have left some of them just because I did not feel he/she were helping. Also because we just did not seem to be on the same page. I have never been abused, the only thing I can say about my experiences is that I feel I might have been neglected. He/she was looking around the room and I felt not listening or caring about anything I said.

The most important thing EVERYONE NEEDS TO REMEMBER is that he/she works for you.
If you feel uncomfortable or that you are not getting any positive results by the 4th or 5th session, FIND a different therapist. They are just like medication they all work differently with different people. Anyone should LEAVE the moment he/she starts any discussions about sex.

I have never had a therapist ask me about sex. If the subject came up at all I brought it up to emphasize what kind of abuse I had been through. When I had finished what I had to say about the abuse there was no more discussion concerning sex in any way.

Some people are at the therapist for sexual issues but be positive that this is their expertise. Check with the board to see if there have been any complaints against them.
bellanorine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
nushi