View Single Post
Anonymous24680
Anonymous24680 has no updates. Edit

Default Feb 05, 2014 at 10:51 PM

If you're so well versed in the definitions of each disorder in the various iterations of the DSM maybe you didn't need to post this.

I think Red Panda's interpretation was legit. People with "social phobia" (also commonly/interchangeably referred to as "social anxiety disorder") may experience anxiety in more particular situations while AvPD may be considered more all encompassing so as to cause avoidance behaviors in nearly all social situations. Intrusive was a decent way to describe it but I think maybe the word/phrase Red Panda was really looking for was "all-encompassing".

Someone with AvPD might be apprehensive about walking to the corner store for a gallon of milk rather than only in a public speaking situation or going to a dinner party or whatever. I certainly interpret SAD/SP as less situation-specific as Red Panda has described.

You might consider that to just be a more severe version of SAD and that is certainly debatable. The line between the two and whether AvPD is different or only represents the more severe version of SAD is a matter of debate among mental health professionals. If you google "avoidant personality vs social phobia" you will surely turn up a lot of information about this ongoing debate and the difference that various professionals/studies/etc. do or do not perceive between the two.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote