View Single Post
sidony
Grand Member

Member Since Feb 2007
PC PoohBah!
Default Feb 23, 2007 at 03:43 PM

</font><blockquote><div id="quote"><font class="small">Quote:</font>
Rhapsody said:
I would be interested in knowing more about why and even how you came about having this type of thinking when it comes to using spanking as a form of discipline.

</div></font></blockquote><font class="post">

Mostly because I attended a private school where there was a fair amount of corporal punishment. But it went on at too late of an age (there were kids at the age of 10 and even several years older who were paddled in the schools). (I definitely agree that it it shouldn't be done that late!) I did make a connection between that type of punishment and sexuality unfortunately. It was just too close of an age (I was starting to develop sexually at the same time I was being confronted by that type of physical punishment, etc.). I think it had a negative impact on me sexually, and so I started reading about it. There are a fair number of stories of kids who became aroused by corporal punishment and went on to have interests in sadomasochism. And though it's no great crime, I did have to work to associate sexual feelings with ideas other than dominance, humiliation, pain etc. I would have preferred that it not be that way for me so I tend to think of corporal punishment as a risk. It's probably a very small risk (and probably only risky when it's done a little late -- maybe like after the age of 7 or something), but some of the stories on the website I mentioned are pretty sad. Some people become so obsessed with S&amp;M practices (or even just corporal punishment for sexual arousal) that they can't enjoy regular sexual intimacy. I think that's a sad state.

I've regretted bringing up this topic in the past since it's such a sensitive issue. I'm definitely not implying that anyone would intentionally harm their children. But I think it's an issue worth considering from a different angle (and this is one that's almost never discussed). I appreciate that no one has attacked me for bringing this up! I personally know that I don't have a clue about parenting though! I imagine I'd go for the alternative "time-out" techniques or something like that if I ever had children. Physical punishment (in my case) only had detrimental effects.

Sidony

(edited to add trigger icon)

sidony is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote