Magnate

Member Since May 2013
53 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 20, 2014 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah123 View Post
I still definitely have a ways to go, but my therapist recommended this book for me and I find it very practical and customizable, plus easy to read with lots of concrete examples (and cheap!):

The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation & ... Tolerance (New Harbinger Self-Help Workbook): Matthew McKay, Jeffrey C. Wood, Jeffrey Brantley:

I have used it some on my own between sessions and we've spent some time reviewing a couple chapters as well. I find it very helpful to calm down after painful sessions, and during times when I start to feel very upset and reactive about family situations or other really unpleasant or stressful events.

It is a true workbook, so... about half reading and half filling out worksheets, choosing activities to try, but of course the most important part is using the activities once you select/customize them. Hope it helps. DBT is definitely one of those things where you get out what you put in, and this way, you don't need to ruminate on the leader or your feelings about group, you can take what you need here and employ it.

I know about this book but I can't order it. I barely have enough money to eat two meals a day. My parents won't give me more money and I can't seem to find steady work.
growlithing is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote