Poohbah

Member Since Feb 2014
191 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 11, 2014 at 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supanova View Post
Thanks Curiosity77, that makes me feel less alone. I am better when it comes to emails, but fb is the killer for me. I will write comments or messages while I am still emotionally charged and that leads to regret. I am getting much better with that now though. I can totally relate to wanting to explain everything as well. Thankyou.

I know that you work with mentally ill. I have just started to work more one on one with my mental health patients and Im terrified I will slip up and tell them I have bipolar, or make a casual remark about meds that will out me. I feel this will be detrimental to my career. I am so worried I will say something without thinking. I am super aware around my clients, but it makes me awkward at times and that is also no good. How do you manage it?
It's challenging, because sometimes the patient's say something, and I can relate, but they assume that I have no idea what they are going through. Sometimes I feel like telling them would be therapeutic, but I don't self disclose because it could damage my career and also I don't know how they would feel about it. I have one patient in particular, who is trying to come to terms and learn to manage his bipolar disorder. I feel like if I could tell him my personal experiences he would benefit, but I am careful what I say. He said he had a youth worker once who was bipolar, and he really listened to and respected her. I don't say anything, but I've encouraged him to read Icarus project books, and we talk openly about his ambivalence around meds and his experiences with this disorder. He met our team psychiatrist once, but really didn't like him. He prefers to just see me, so I"m doing the med management etc. I have another patient with an anxiety disorder who keeps going on and off his meds. He asked me if I'd ever had anxiety, so I said yes (I also have GAD). He asked me if I"d ever taken meds for it, so I also said yes. He looked shocked - I hope hearing that reduced some of the stigma he was feeling, because he felt like people with anxiety can never lead normal lives. I didn't tell him that I am on WAY more meds than he is, lol. So those are a couple examples. I have more, but I don't want to bore you with it. I guess I let my experiences inform my practice, but I base my interventions on scientific evidence and my training. I can't assume that the way I experience things is the same way the patients experience it, even if we have the same disorder, and I have to keep my boundaries. Usually it's not a problem, but I have had cases with were a challenge. It's also hard with disclosure to coworkers. 2 of the social workers and one of the psychiatrist's at work know about my bipolar, but only one of the social workers knows any details, and even that is limited. I struggled with telling anyone because of the stigma, but ultimately decided to tell a few people because I felt like people were noticing signs, and I was depressed and having a hard time covering all my symptoms. People seemed really surprised, so I guess I was better at hiding it than I thought. I don't know if disclosure was the best idea, but it's part of my problem with having no filter I guess.

You will be great as a mental health worker. I think my illness has made me better able to help others, and yours will too. You always post caring and insightful things, so I think that is how you will treat your clients too. PM me anytime

"Those who feel the breath of sadness, sit down next to me. Those feel they're touched my madness, sit down next to me. Those who find themselves ridiculous, sit down next to me."

Last edited by Curiosity77; May 11, 2014 at 07:59 PM..
Curiosity77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote