View Single Post
Altered Moment
Elder

Member Since Feb 2014
PC PoohBah!
Default Sep 23, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Quote:
After all, riddle me this, in cases where a treatment is neither applicable nor indicated, how can its ineffectiveness then describe a condition as being treatment-resistant?
I don't think it should be, but as you already know I do not like the definition of two anti depressants not working. I am in total agreement with DocJohns definition-

Quote:
To me, and in this context, it means you've tried multiple treatment options -- whether it be psychotherapy, meds, ECT, TMS, whatever -- over a period of years and despite your (and your professionals') best efforts and multiple tries on different treatments (whether it be with different therapists, therapies, meds, etc.), very little has touched your depression. You are still depressed. It doesn't seem to have responded much to anything.

That's my definition. I'm going to close this thread to encourage you all to start new threads here on the topics of the most interest to you...
I do not have PTSD but I view it as depression is a symptom of PTSD along with other possible symptoms. A person might have PTSD and not have depression as a symptom and may have other symptoms. I agree with you that it is the PTSD that should be gone after. Maybe they are comorbid and should be treated at the same time but the primary focus should be the PTSD. My two cents anyway.

I googled "treatment resistant PTSD" to see what came up.

Treatment-resistant posttraumatic stress disorder... [CNS Spectr. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI Couldn't seem to find a link to the full article.
Quote:
Abstract
The mainstay of treatment for chronic posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a combination of psychotherapy and medication treatments. The first-line medications for PTSD are antidepressants, with two selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (sertraline and paroxetine) currently Food and Drug Administration-indicated for PTSD. However, many patients do not have an adequate response to antidepressants, therefore, combinations with other antidepressants or with other classes of psychotropic medication are often utilized to enhance the therapeutic response. Other agents that have been used include mood stabilizers, anti-adrenergics, anxiolytics, and atypical antipsychotics. The heterogeneity of symptom clusters in PTSD as well as the complex psychiatric comorbidities (eg, with depression or substance abuse) further support the notion that combinations of medications may be needed. To date, there is a paucity of data to support specific strategies for augmenting antidepressants in PTSD. This review will address representative existing studies and discuss several potential pharmacologic strategies for patients suffering from treatment-refractory PTSD.
It seems MDMA (ecstasy) holds some promise.
I'm a veteran who overcame treatment-resistant PTSD after participating in a clinical study of MDMA-assisted psychotherapy. My name is Tony Macie? Ask me anything! : IAmA

MDMA Cures Treatment-Resistant PTSD « Reset.me

I seem to remember hearing on the news that the US Military and VA has come up with some novel psychotherapy methods of treatment. Not sure how successful.

Major Depressive Disorder
Anxiety Disorder with some paranoid delusions thrown in for fun.
Recovering Alcoholic and Addict
Possibly on low end of bi polar spectrum...trying to decide.

Male, 50

Fetzima 80mg
Lamictal 100mg
Remeron 30mg for sleep
Klonopin .5mg twice a day, cutting this back

Hugs from:
katydid777

Thanks for this!
boomerango