View Single Post
Pia77

Member Since Nov 2014
1 hugs
given
Default Nov 05, 2014 at 05:41 PM

Oh this is interesting... When I'm happy my interest in TV (and watching TV with the iPad) lessens - but I get addicted to running, the actual running, learning about it etc. other sports. That's considered healthier I guess, but it's not good to obsess about anything. But on topic when I hit a bad patch in life my day becomes having a season of something to watch or a run of catch up TV...I get twitchy if I don't have something to watch that just takes my thoughts away. I also go from drinking too much, to not at all.

The last guy I got involved with told me at one point he needed to gold cold turkey on 'screens' he was watching films, Internet dating, social media, messaging apps (did my head in, having a drink and he HAD to respond to a message on some platform) and online gambling constantly...he'd even made his income from sub letting his spare rooms and gambling after quitting another by most standards very decent job. I'm on here initially to sort my adult issues of an alcoholic mother out - but reading around...this interests me...

Are most of these modern curses? I see alcohol, drug and gambling addiction running thru the past... Are TV and online just new escapisms? In which case - why do we get addicted to anything that normal life can't fulfil? Actually as an aside, I see women get totally obsessive about shoes and nail varnish... Proper emotionally, addicted so, to the extent I'd question their behaviour if it was booze or drugs in place of shoes or varnish. I maybe think some religion is addictive and always has been, is the addiction an answer we seek to a void we have on a very deep level? Beyond family and connections?

Sorry maybe deep, this place and your posts has me thinking.
Pia77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote