View Single Post
lors

Member Since Mar 2014
Default Feb 03, 2015 at 04:39 AM

Hi guys,

I've been going through a lot of attacks lately, ranging from "OMG take me to the emergency room" to "it's there but it'll pass soon"

I just had one a while ago and while it was happening, I focused on my breathing which sort of helped but it still wouldn't go away, in fact it worsened at times.

Then, I attended a meeting with a co-worker and it was still there (was hell trying to focus AND discuss matters). But the topic got interesting and I got all animated and the "feeling" went away.

This got me thinking, my trigger is the fear of a heart attack. So ANY sensation on my limbs, chest, head would set it off. That's all physical.

My original strategy was to tackle it head on, meaning physical as well. It would pass but it would again take long or worsen at times.

Now I understand that if my trigger is physical, my focusing on the physical would AMPLIFY whatever I'm feeling, thus giving the "feeling" more ammo or power.

So I'm modifying my strategy;

1. Acknowledge the feeling
2. Put that feeling aside - not forget but rather, put it in a compartment in the corner of your mind
3. Preoccupy yourself - this is tricky because there are so many mental barriers already.
4. Continue till your mind is totally off it

I'm not saying this is for everybody but the idea is, if it can be turned on just like that, it may also be turned off just the same.

The trick is to find the right mental/thought pattern to turn it off.

But of course, if symptoms worsen see a doctor or get help.

What are your strategies for coping?

Regards

lors

Last edited by lors; Feb 03, 2015 at 06:07 AM..
lors is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Squaw

Thanks for this!
Squaw