View Single Post
Hoonoo

Member Since Jun 2013
Default Feb 26, 2015 at 08:58 PM

I have to mention that I've sort of always known of such "distortion" types and when I met with Burns' book I hem-hawed it.

That was until I was able to separate myself from these distortions. My issue was that I was so consumed with one or more of these 10 at any given time that I couldn't "back up" and see it. I separated myself using meds...I had never used meds before and considered them as crutches for the "weak". Well, meds in my case simply help my brain take a pause. Before I react to things now I take a pause think about it and then decide what to do. Now, this distortions list is near me always and as I prepare to act or react to things I skim the list and look for pitfalls.

One more trick, as if you asked me: I've been journaling for three years now and I use that many times to write into my journal my immediate reactions or thoughts to something and then its "out of me". After that I seem to decide a little better.

I would suggest that this list stays in your purse, planner, wallet, whatever. and before or as these feelings come, grab that list. At least you'll pause to read it.
Hoonoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
nushi