Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,341 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 02, 2015 at 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox0r View Post
My counselors have told me they support me getting SSI. I don't have a regular psychiatrist I see, because I'm on state insurance, but I do have proof of illness.
The counselors being supportive can be a big help. They should be willing to write letters on your behalf stating that they believe you are unable to work. If at all possible, see a psychiatrist whenever you can. That would help even more. Are you on any medication? Being on meds also helps your chances of being approved. Be sure to be compliant with taking any meds ordered and showing up for all appointments.

Proof of illness is not the real test of eligibility. This is the thing that people have the hardest time understanding. The SSA does not care how serious your illness is (unless you have Lou Gehrig's Disease, are on Dialysis, or are blind, and a few other things.) Lots of people with very serious physical and mental disabilities manage to succeed in the work force. SSA wants to know very specifically why your illness interferes with you working to the point that you are unemployable. This is why having a lawyer is so important. Without one, you are very likely to innocently answer some questions in a way that makes it sound like you could possibly do something to earn a living.

You will be given paperwork to fill out asking you how you spend a typical day. If you say: "Oh, I tidy up the house and do the laundry and then walk the dog." they will figure you could get a job as a home attendant for some elderly person who needs help with those things. You don't want to submit one single piece of paperwork without having it checked by an attorney, or someone on the attorney's staff.

Go to YouTube and watch some presentations by attorneys on getting through this process. Doing that helped me a lot. I got approved in 3 months.

If you don't have much work experience, you will be considered for SSI, rather than SSDI. (Depends on how many "credits" you have earned, which is determined by income and length of time working.) Right now the federal government is paying $733/month. (SSI Federal Payment Amounts) Your state might add something to that, depending on where you live. In addition, you would be eligible for a housing subsidy, which could take some years to get. (Go apply for a housing subsidy now, so you get on the waiting list. Being low income might be enough for you to qualify to get on the waiting list.)
Rose76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
ShadowHorse