Legendary

Member Since Mar 2011
5,341 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Mar 11, 2015 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflower17 View Post
Is this really that big of a deal? Who cares. Can she not defend herself? Some attorneys do take money from every check for a period of time. I work as a physician who performs SSDI evals on the side and consults with attorneys daily. No, it doesn't have to be appealed and approved. It just has to be considered "reasonable". And not everything has to be approved by SSA. Attorney's fees for example. And your attorney can force payment, even if you lose if you don't have a contract specifically stating that they will only collect if you win. They can also apply for additional fees to be approved by SSA if your case is approved so quickly there are no back payments. It's not as black and white as I think it was presented. I just want to make sure people know what they're getting in for. I was just stating my opinion and experience. That doesn't warrant this.
No attorney takes any money from any social security check. (except the very first payment of back benefits, and that is paid directly to the law firm by the federal government.)

If an applicant loses and has their claim denied, the applicant is responsible for paying the attorney to reimburse him for things like court filing fees and the fees for obtaining medical records. These are rather small expenses. While the attorney can charge for these expenses, he/she can not charge for handling the claim. The attorney can only collect for that, if you win. It is exactly just that black and white. This is what federal law mandates.

Any fee agreement with the lawyer must be approved by the Social Security Administration.

When I'm at my desktop, I'll cite sources. (I don't know how to copy and paste links on my tablet.)
Rose76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Thanks for this!
shortandcute