Thread: low self-esteem
View Single Post
ck2d
Account Suspended

Member Since Feb 2015
Default Apr 16, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Eesh, that article looks like DBT. lol I had a rough time of it because of the two tenets.

First, accept who you are right now. Got it - that's why I have low self-esteem, in a way, because I know all about and accept (or at least can't deny) all my flaws. (That I can't accept that anything positive about myself is true, that's very un-DBT, but like I said, it didn't work for me anyway.)

Second, change yourself to do better. And there is the rub. AvPD can't be changed. You can learn to accept it, throw a bunch of coping techniques and distraction at it, but it can't change.

So DBT was pretty much torture for me. What I need and want is more people in my life, but that is impossible. It would be similar to if there was a crippling disease that could be cured with a peanut based medicine, but you're allergic to peanuts. What do you do? Take the cure and die of the allergy, or live your life knowing that to a degree it's your choice that you are in agony?

That was a decent article. Unfortunately, none of it applied to avoidants. The problem is, that it says to raise your self-esteem, change how you interact with people. I don't and can't interact with people, not on a personal level anyway, because I am avoidant. But it's full of nice ideas for other people who have a chance, other people who I hope read my original post and decided to take another look at what was actually going on with them before they bound themselves to any label.
ck2d is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote