Grand Magnate

Member Since Apr 2010
6 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Apr 27, 2015 at 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker101 View Post
Hellion, you sound like you know the in's and out's of SSDI better than the Average Joe. I called a few lawyers and they all said to apply first and then call them when I got the denial. So I have. I've applied.

The local SSA office sent me a letter asking me to call because they needed clarification on a couple of my answers. Because I explained I have difficulties getting out of the house in my free-form section of the application, I'm sure that's part of the reason why they also took my SSI application over the phone.

Additionally, the agent I talked to kept saying "when you're approved." I listened closely after the first time she said it, and it was definately "when" and not "if." And she said it 3-4 times. Soooooo, does that sound good?
If you have a doctor and medical records as proof of your condition, then there is a good chance you'd get approved even without the disability lawyer. I am actually on SSI so not sure all the specifics of SSDI, except I think it pays a bit more than SSI and you have to have worked for a significant period of time before becoming 'disabled' to qualify. I think some people can qualify for both though.

But yeah I initially got denied and decided not to appeal the first time around, but then when it kept becoming more apparent I really was not functional enough for work I applied again, and got denied...but I also didn't have a lot of medical records or consistent doctor or therapist. So I got a disability lawyer. Also had two hospitalizations since the first time I tried applying which I think helped...I guess the timing for my mental health getting that bad was convenient it did help prove the disability thing. But yeah basically its about having plenty of medical records and if you get denied the disability lawyer will analyze all the documentation and figure out any arguments they can use to prove you are disabled.

But yeah if you have documentation of deterioration of your condition that will help your case a lot, its not having much documentation that can make it really hard. Also though be careful of the questionnaires and if they have you see an SSI doctor basically keep in mind they are trying to prove you can work so keep that in mind. I think another reason I got denied was the doctor I saw asked about drug use....and I mentioned I had tried a few things a few years prior and smoke cannabis on occasion(now its legal so its akin to admitting to having a beer here and there)....but anyways they took it to mean I was abusing drugs on a regular basis and that was the cause of my ailments when I meant I had tried a few drugs in the past but was not currently indulging let alone on any regular basis...not to mention I was having some pretty serious issues before I even had a grasp on what drugs where which I also told them. But yeah they tried to argue if I didn't use drugs I was functional which was not really based on anything so point is they may try to misconstruction things so be aware of that. But yeah I wasn't going to lie because you can get in trouble for outright lying....then they go and twist it around.

I might add for people who are great with paper-work and technical questions and specifics and legal stuff may not need the disability lawer to appeal if denied...I myself felt like my head would explode if I tried to deal with all that myself so I did not mind the lawyer getting some of my back-pay funds to save me the trouble of putting all medical records together in a formal case to present to the judge. There was stuff he found that I wasn't even aware was actually on my records....like traits of avoident PD when I thought it was limited to the GAD, PTSD, Aspergers/autism and reoccurent major depression.

Thanks for this!
Seeker101