View Single Post
Skeezyks
Disreputable Old Troll

Member Since Oct 2015
17.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Oct 12, 2015 at 07:50 PM

Hello seawhale: Yes, I have some idea of what you're saying. Whenever I have something new & shiny, so to speak, I'm protective of it. And if it becomes damaged, even if it's just a scratch, my first inclination is to get rid of it... get a new one... etc. This, of course, is not practical, especially if it is something expensive (even moderately so.)

I think in my case it may have to do with a perfectionist streak I have. I always expect everything I do to be perfect, which in reality it seldom is. So by extension, I also want everything I own to be perfect. And, of course, things seldom stay that way.

I can't say how common this is. And, as far as how to get over it goes, my thinking would be that what is important here is to figure out, to the extent possible, what it is about yourself (your personality) that causes you to feel the way you do. For example, perhaps you have a low self-concept & so any time something new gets scratched it feels to you like it's a blow to your ego. I don't know... this is just a thought. This may be something that could be explored with a therapist should you be seeing one, or have the opportunity to see one in the future. Best wishes!

"I may be older but I am not wise / I'm still a child's grown-up disguise / and I never can tell you what you want to know / You will find out as you go." (from: "A Nightengale's Lullaby" - Julie Last)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
mwaxy

Thanks for this!
mwaxy