View Single Post
WannaDog

Member Since Feb 2016
2 hugs
given
Default Mar 30, 2016 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymissouri View Post
I have a family member who is under court order to find a job and treat his paranoid behavior. He found a job and has done very well at it, but he avoids going to a doctor and taking medication. Instead, he relentlessly spends his off time trying to find "proof" his illusion is real. If he fails to follow the court order he could very well be placed in jail. There seems to be no way to persuade him.

I am so sorry for you and your family member who suffers from this mental illness. You probably know that it will not go away by itself, and if triggered, could lead to a very serious outcome. He needs to seek help now to show the court that he is doing a program. If they put him in jail (the worst place for a mental patient, there is no knowing of how he will be treated by the other inmates and he will probably come out much more sick than he is today. I am speaking from experience with my sister. Denying that she needed help, that her psychosis was real but as long as she could hold down a job proved that she was ok, then having an uncontrollable fit of rage and disaster put her in the same place. I know you can't "make" him do anything but let him know that you've heard from someone who has already been there and jail is hell, I mean hell, for a mental patient in prison. They don't give you counseling. They only sometimes give you your meds, because they often don't have any in stock. And the violent inmates see who the mental patients are and taunt them, bully them, beat them, and rape them. He will become a victim. I'm telling you the truth and I know it isn't pretty but I hope it helps stir your brother on to seeking help before it is too late. T

Last edited by WannaDog; Mar 30, 2016 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: spelled something wrong.
WannaDog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote