Wise Elder

Member Since Mar 2009
885 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default May 09, 2016 at 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshiregrins View Post
Curious: Have you found any medication that sugnificantly helps DID?
here in the USA there is no medication for DID.

that said there is medication for things like anxiety, depression, psychosis,....and any other mental problems that .......trigger..... a person to feel numb, spaced out disconnected (in other words their dissociative symptoms)

i think of it like this... is there a medication for when I like a joke so I laugh?
is there a medication that will take away all my memories, emotions, in short everything that makes me who and what I am... of course not right

a persons personality is their memories, their emotions, their sense of self, sense of agency, a persons actions, behaviors, attitudes about their self and their world.

now for example what if we had a medication to take all that away...everything that makes up a persons personality... what do you have....someone in a vegetative state, someone who doesnt move, think, have thoughts, someone who has no sense of agency, no attitudes, no emotions, ...in short someone who is in a coma where their brain does not register any brain waves at all.

an exercise my therapist had me do one time when I told her I wished there was a medication for DID...

lay down in your bed, dont move, not even to itch that odd itch, dont think, dont talk dont even look at anything, just lay there doing nothing, thinking nothing, no actions, no attitudes, no behaviors, nothing just lay there, dont think about that spot on the ceiling, dont try to control your breathing, dont notice any sounds, nothing just be with out any of what makes you, you.

So I laid down in my room to just be with being who and what I was at that moment. ....wow does this ceiling need cleaning (whoops there I go being a homeowner who like a clean house) lots of traffic out today (whoops being observant is a personality trait supposed to be no attitudes, or other personality traits) did I get the kids their lunch stuff for tomorrow (whoops there I go being a mother thats part of my personality)...

see my point theres no medication to get rid of a persons personality no matter how many parts its been split into. nothnig dies and nothing goes away.

treatment for DID here in my location focuses on grounding and better coping tools so that when encountering a trigger a person doesnt have to numb out, space out, feel disconnected. then when the alters sense of agency (their jobs, purposes, reasons for being created) are no longer needed they merge back together to form one who person again.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
Wild Coyote

Thanks for this!
cheshiregrins, Lost_in_the_woods, Wild Coyote