Legendary

Member Since Aug 2007
1,020 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Jun 09, 2016 at 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strive4health View Post
I normally think of myself as a low spend person, but certainly not very frugal. I'm not a spendthrift either, as I like to get a lot of my items on clearance, online consignment, or from ebay where it's super cheap.

Unfortunately...recently my husband gave me a "talking to" about reducing my discretionary spending. He said we weren't broke, but we're not rich either and we need to be more mindful of where we put our money. I get that, and I agree with it.

The thing is, I know I need to reduce my spending but I always find some way to justify it. For instance, I lost 30 pounds and a lot of my clothes stopped fitting me...they looked very baggy and unsightly, and some were so big they'd look unprofessional at the workplace. I sold them to an online cosignment, or have donated some and we'll get a tax write-off. If it's not that, then I justify it by saying I'm updating my wardrobe because I'm over 30 and a lot of the items in my closet wouldn't be appropriate for me to keep wearing anymore. Whatever it is, I always seem to find a way to justify it by saying "I'm buying it cheap."

It's still a problem because I am still spending money. I took some time to think about why I'm doing it, and I think it's because I'm trying to fulfill an emotional need. I don't have a lot of friends, I don't have any female friends who I could hang out and spend time with. My life is basically going to school, taking care of errands, looking for a new job, spending time with my husband, and health care.

Does anyone else ever have this problem? What did you do to catch yourself when you were out at a store and thought "oh, that would be so nice to have"? I've thought of asking myself, do I NEED it or do I just want to get it on impulse? Asking myself that question doesn't always work because I always find a way to use whatever I'm buying lol. It's kind of pathetic, and I need some pointers.
You could think of other ways to reward yourself and treat yourself, then begin practicing doing those things instead of spending. Maybe a yoga class, use a relaxation CD/download, read library books, get set up with a creative hobby like painting or crafting (of course, initial spending would be needed). If you're in therapy, spend some exploring this in depth, and learn about what need is being attempted to be met.

Good luck!
ECHOES is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Hugs from:
MickeyCheeky

Thanks for this!
MickeyCheeky