Icare dixit
Magnate

Member Since Feb 2016
1,484 hugs
given
Default Jun 19, 2016 at 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3reandback View Post
Have you ever been thrown into a severe manic episode because of an antidepressant like Prozac? What about psychosis? Were you on a mood stabilizer at the time? How certain are you that the ssri caused it and not something else? How bad was your psychosis/mania and how long did it last?

For me, I took Prozac and became severely manic, which led to a lot of bad things, and ended in a 10/10 worse psychosis ever. Lasted 3 weeks and I ended up in jail, with essentially full blown schizophrenia for the time being. I've never had psychosis before that, and am completely fine now that I'm off it and on lithium. Stress was also a big factor. Being manic lead me to do mushrooms which probably had an impact. I was smoking weed daily as well, but I had already been doing that for the previous 5 years with no problems until I started taking Prozac, yet the doctors still insist it was "cannabis induced psychosis" and had nothing to do with the Prozac.....
The diagnosis is substance induced mood disorder or substance-/medication-induced BP (depending on DSM), so I wouldn't worry too much about what they think.

That they made explicit the medication bit in the name of the new diagnosis and they changed it to BP is a reflection of a growing understanding that serotonergic drugs (like fluoxetine) may cause mania.

I never had the misfortune of being exposed to SSRIs. I did however use 5-HTP, which is a serotonin precursor, which (probably) caused a mild mixed state (starting with mania).

Mania kills cells. Brain cells die. Memories become more reduced conceptually, making more efficient use of limited means. Memories shape our reality. Our memories are more or less split in two by abstractions, conceptual reductions. Mood states with memories, concepts, attached. Memories of pain and those of joy. It causes instability, changeability. Fearing that will leave an emptiness between pain and joy and a greater divide.
See Me, Feel Me, Touch Me, Heal Me.
Icare dixit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote